I don’t think I’ve posted a pic from this angle:
We’ve got roofs. Four of them. Two will be green roofs, for which we need to order over two thousand plants. The soil is only 100 mm deep, so it’s mostly tussock and succulents.
It’s surprising how quickly the house has gone a bunch of bits of wood, sticking up in the air, to a house. Putting the roofs on was a major transition, even if one of them is still made from tarps.
This is above the bedrooms:
In other project news, testing the third and final circuit board for the Fannies reveals that it works. Woohoo! Here’s a tiny, two batteries to five volts converter that kicks out 600 mA. Three Watts is pretty grunty for something this small:
I did discover a new potential failure mode. The heatsink, the shiny bit of aluminium in the pic above, is a little bit small, to fit into ludicrously tiny space. This is fine, coz the power supply is so efficient that not much heat needs to be sunk. Well, that is to say, the MAX1703 chip is very efficient (90%+) at the designed maximum load. However, when turned down, the efficiency drops as low as 50%, and the heat to be sunk goes up. Up lots. The Fannies have a ridiculous peak power, but most of the time, they’ll be turned down, so major heat production. Hmm… I don’t have the kit to test the variable load properly, and there’s no room for a bigger heatsink without changing a whole bunch of other stuff. Ah, hell, we’ll just try it and see if it explodes.
And now, a question. I’ve some clear, flexible PVC tubing that I’m using as light guides. I want to scuff up the inside of the tube. I’ve yet to find a good way to do this.