This weekend’s Mitochondioning produced a whole bunch of virtual stuff, and the successful testing of this new shiny thing:
Yup, it’s dinky. It’s so dinky, and dinky is good. It’s an accelerometer – it measures acceleration. Your iPhone has one. If it’s sitting still, then it measures the direction of gravity, so it can be used as a tilt sensor. (In three dimensions, plus or minus not much, in about a millisecond, using less than ten milliWatts of power.)
It won’t be sitting still.
But mainly, I’m happy, coz I soldered up four wires, wrote three lines of code, and it just worked.
Having things ‘just work’ has not been a major feature of this project. In fact, I’m only using these coz I couldn’t get the ultrasonic range finder to work within the space constraints that I’ve got. Now, whether I’ll be able to write enough signal processing to get from the raw data to the information I want, that’s another question…