1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
Appeared in a porn mag. Got the Mitochondrion to a working state. Made some really half-arsed sculptures. Made bamboo structures. Laughed at someone trying it on with me. Nearly brained someone with my fire staff, deliberately. Got all the consents needed to start the house. Thought about My Dick. Hauled firewood. Drove a tractor. Built a regulated power supply. Laid a dance floor. Made folding fire fans. Wrote workable code on the bus. Got other people to do my networking for me. Stilts/acrobalance/contact improv/contemporary dance all at the same time. Soldered an MSOP package. Won an Arduino and gave it away. Had laser eye surgery and binned my contacts.
Yeah, a quiet year.
2. Did you keep your New Year’s Resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I made them a while ago, and I’m sticking to them.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
What countries did you visitDid you go anywhere outside of Wellington at all?
2009 was the year I discovered videoconferencing, but work dragged me as far as Christchurch, Nelson, and Palmie. Aside from that, Whakamaru and Ruapehu. Oh and partied in Hamilton.
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
A finished house.
7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Work parties up at the section, soon we shall have to start referring to the section as the house.
9. What was your biggest failure?
If I’d been more particular about the spoil from digging the foundations and where it went, I wouldn’t be looking at a bill for $35k. Oops.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Wrist, shoulder, ankle. Meh.
11. What was the best thing someone
bought you made for me?
The cloak of stealth raving is awesome and scares cats.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Only people I know professionally.
14. Where did most of your money go?
House, house, house.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
House, house, house.
16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier.
b) fatter or skinnier? Stronger back, weaker arms.
c) richer or poorer? Richer in equity, poorer in finances.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Umm… nope, I’m glad I fitted it all in.
20. How do you plan to spend Christmas?
Writing this, relaxing, reading.
21. Did you fall in love in 2009?
22. How many one night stands?
23. What was your favorite TV program?
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
It’s been refreshingly free of having to hate.
25. What was the best book you read?
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
27. What did you want and get?
The most expensive planer in the shop.
28. What did you want and not get?
House. But we’re getting.
29. What was your favorite film of this year?
Avatar was by far the prettiest.
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
It was a stealth birthday, and I am old.
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
Stinking and covered in wood oil.
33. What kept you sane?
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
What is this “celebrity” thing you are talking of?
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
Climate change, as always.
36. Who do you miss?
My goddaughter dropped by this year, so no one.
37. Who was the best new person you met?
Hot James is hot.
38. What was the best thing you ate?
Treating my friends to Logan Browns.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009?
Chop wood, carry water.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year: