Gotten round to it, finally. This holiday was not a time for reflection, it was a time for getting stuff done. And then heading off into the wilderness, where they were playing dubstep. That’s my kind of wilderness.
1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
Bigger chainsaws. Smaller soldering.
2. Did you keep your New Year’s Resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
My Aunt sent me a postcard from beyond the grave, then made building the house much easier.
What countries did you visitDid you go anywhere outside of Wellington at all?
People’s Republic of Whakamaru. Turoa. Wanganui. Breaker Bay.
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
Time. Legs. Lungs. Photos of me doing stuff.
7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
The whole year turned out to be a cause for continuing smugness. Birthday was pretty good though.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year
Secondment at MAF turned out pretty good. I can’t claim much responsibility for the $700 million Fast Forward research fund, but I can claim a smidgen, so I’m gonna, at which point I can say SEVEN HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS <keanu>whoa!</keanu>
Shame new government is probably going to bin it. Well, that’s policy for you.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Me? Fail? That’s unpossible.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
No, but then, I wasn’t playing hockey.
11. What was the best thing someone bought you?
Hello Kitty pot noodles.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Several of the men in Wellington. I mean, at what point do you say to yourself, “hmm… I’ve made committment to someone, so instead I’m going to wave my dick around and hurt everybody involved”?
14. Where did most of your money go?
I worked hard at ignoring money this year, so it ended up in the house.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
The Mitochondrion working for a change. This is proving to be a rare and temporary pleasure.
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
Stephan Bodzin vs Marc Romboy – “Phobos”
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier.
b) fatter or skinnier? Wider shoulders, skinnier legs
c) richer or poorer? Richer. So much richer that it’s now abstract wealth.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. How do you plan to spend Christmas?
Party at ours!
21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
22. How many one night stands?
Stand? Who stands on bean bags?
23. What was your favorite TV program?
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Yes, and for good reason.
25. What was the best book you read?
Lots of Stross.
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Boy 8 Bit, Diplo, JFB, Romboy, 3rd Resistance, Adam Freeland, Deadmau5, Danger, everything/anything with funky noise + sub-bass drone, I am easy to please.
27. What did you want and get?
Sledgehammer. Back somersaults. Double fronts (into the foam pit, with 50% of landing feet first). My friends to end up in healthy relationships – yay!
28. What did you want and not get?
A finished Mitochondrion, a started house. I’ll settle for a splitting maul instead.
29. What was your favorite film of this year?
Sit down for two whole hours? I have people to do that for me.
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Boarding at Turoa, 5 metre base, trying to keep up with hot, hot people from gymnastics.
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Professionals being professional. An i2c debugger.
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
Exactly the same as last year, only more worn.
33. What kept you sane?
The internal sanity generating circuits seemed to have kicked in this year.
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
People wanting change without having a fucking clue what the result might be.
36. Who do you miss?
No-one, but 2009 looks like the year for that.
37. Who was the best new person you met?
38. What was the best thing you ate?
Does paper count as food?
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008?
Integrity trumps everything else.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
“Hullo, erm… my name’s Oliver and I’m a duboholic”